Monday, May 9, 2011

Strange stories, Oprah and Gardens.

As sordid stories go: There was this woman in Florida who caused a 2-vehicle wreck because she was shaving her bikini area while driving. She was on her way to a date and wanted to be ready for the visit. The reporter said while performing this extremely personal grooming ritual, she asked her ex-husband to steer the wheel. I’m sorry I had to report on this, but it shows how crazy some people are in this great land. Apparently there are things besides drinking that don't mix with driving.


A worst story was this 17 year old kid in Pittsburgh who came across a 58 year man, who just had a heart-attack and was slumped over his steering wheel. He was returning home after a late baseball game. The kid took his billfold and rolled him out of the car and stole it. The fan later died. I guess the moral of the story is there was no compassion in Pennsylvania on that particular night.

I get off work at 4:30 and I try and watch the end of Oprah, mostly because my wife likes to watch the show. Well anyway, Oprah has these big giveaways on occasion and the people jump up and down and cry and carry on, which is good for them. But this one show they had all these black people who participated in the Freedom Riders movement – a fight for the rights of blacks in the early 1960s. It was not an easy time for black people, many died and others were the victims of senseless violence because they stood up for equality. It was a good show to highlight some of these folks contributions, but it was strange too. Oprah didn’t have any gifts for these old civil rights veterans. Damn, I thought these are the ones who deserve a little bit, but they didnt' make the give-away happiness.

With the help of my two grandsons, Patkoshuk and Nyeh Was sheh and Nicki, I planted 17 rows of corn, 6 tomatoes; 2 peppers and 14 hills of cucumber, plus I have 2 1/2 rows of tators coming up along with onions and guess what? The rains came the very next morning. Boy it sure makes it easier on me when my grandsons step up to the plate and help – but I hope this isn’t construed as breaking child labor laws. I have a few more things to plant, but I’m getting close to being set for this year’s garden. Am I hoping for a good crop? In a word, yes!

No comments:

Post a Comment