Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Last thoughts on basketball

It’s been awhile since I’ve had a hangover but it sure feels like I’ve had an extended one since Kansas University fell to somebody named Northern Iowa in the NCAA basketball tournament. Talk about a bracket-buster!  I don't even know where NIU is located.

On this day, we had over 6 inches of snow fall.  That should have been some kind of warning, since it was almost Spring, things weren't going to go our way in Kansas. I decided to work on a wood-working project.  As I sometimes do, I lost track of time trying to get some work done. I get obsessive at times. My grandson Hooty came to my work area and said the KU game had already started. I said, no it isn’t suppose to start till 4:40, but I had failed to set my clocks forward so I was way off. I stopped everything and hustled off to the house.

I watched the game in disbelief. KU couldn’t seem to do anything right, but I fully expected them to whip off one of their patented 12-0 runs.  It never happened. I thought when they threw a rare full-court press on NIU that they would unravel and it was close to that, but it wasn't meant to be. Some little gutsy guard shot a long, long 3-point shot with a lotta seconds on the clock and it swished through the net and then I knew it was over.

I did say a few words that aren’t meant for publication and I truly believe I went through a spell of shock. I never thought for a second that they would lose. They were destined for greatness, but there were tell-tale signs throughout the year. KU would create huge leads and then go to sleep and other games they would only play half-hearted. Collins struggled more time than not. Aldrich had his ups and downs. Henry looked like a monster player one minute and quite ordinary the next. Am I painting you a picture of inconsistency because that’s what it was this year. Yet, I remain a KU fan.  A 33-3 record isn't bad by anybody's standards.  Somebody said "now it's only babies and memories."

So now in my hurting stage,  I choose to not watch anymore NCAA games this year. I don’t care.

No comments:

Post a Comment