Tuesday, November 24, 2009

The Kansas basketball team is still rated #1 in the country on the eve of turkey day. I commented on my facebook how I used to enjoy going to my mothers house for turkey every year when she was around. I used to look forward to seeing her, drinking coffee with her in her living room while she watched those damn soap operas. My girl Martie used to call her at 966-2788 and asked her what happened in a particular show that she missed. Crazy, huh?

My mother was the best cook around. There would be no food, or at least that's the way it looked, but she could whip up a great meal in no time. I asked Voncile how could she do that so quick and she said on high flame. Oh, dummy me. One time, my friend Kurt Luger came here to our reservation for a meeting and I told him I wanted him to meet my mother and we went over to her house. She proceeded to make a big breakfast while me and Kurt drank coffee. For years after Kurt would always brag at meetings that was the best breakfast he ever had.

Her house was small, only four rooms but it was "the house' and our home. It's funny how that works. It's the people who make a home. She raised 12 screaming kids and several grandchildren in that house. She could make ends meet somehow. We were poor but who really gave a damn when we had her for a mother. She died in 2001 and I rarely go over there now because she made the home with her presence. I think about her all the time especially during these holiday times.

No comments:

Post a Comment